Week 5 - Science Fair

What a fantastic day we had - well actually the whole two weeks leading up to the Science Fair has been great.  So much learning!!
Room 2, year 5 and 6 students first had to choose a scientist to study - the scientist had to have an invention relating to Physics that the students could talk about.  Their study had to demonstrate what the scientist discovered or invented and some facts about the scientist.
Part 2 of their study was to recreate one of their scientists inventions, demonstrating how it related to what the scientist originally invented or discovered.
Using their Science report structure they also had to write up their experiment, stating their question, thesis and hypothesis.  These you will be able to see on each individual's Blogs, along with pics and videos of their experiments.
Quite a few of the experiments did not actually work - but what great learning we had.  Everybody persevered and put in a lot of effort to modify and look at how they could make it work.
They accepted it did not work, after hearing that great scientists like Leonardo da Vinci often had over 1000 attempts at one idea before it actually worked.


Comments

  1. Hey Room 2 Catherine here. I hope you had a great time with the science fair! After reading this blog post I went and researched Leonardo de Vinci and I found out that his areas of strength included painting, sculpting, architecture, science, music, mathematics, engineering, invention, anatomy, geology, astronomy, botany, writing, history, and cartography so he is obviously a very talented person that is something I learnt today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Room 2. I liked the way you investigated the scientist as well as doing experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing your science experiments and learning more about great scientists. Often when things don't work we still learn heaps, just like all great scientists. Ka pai to mahi te ruma rua.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Room 2. Thank you for sharing your Science Fair work. I visited Ohaeawai School for a meeting with Mrs Whitelaw on the day and I could feel the excitement and buzz of learning. I wished I could have snuck out and looked at your work instead of going to the meeting! The great scientists had lots of resilience and it is good to see you all learning that life skill too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you. Your comments will not show immediately because they will be sent to my e-mail for approval first.

Popular posts from this blog

Dubai - SriLanka

Week 7 Term 1 Cricket Coaching

Zoofari